Monday, March 21, 2011

I fought the law, and the law won

Saturday, March 19th, brought us another edition of Border Board Games. The night started off quietly and while waiting for anyone to show up, Richard and I played Race for the Galaxy. For those who haven't played Race for the Galaxy, it is a card game where you try to play cards in your tableau to try to maximize the cards to yield you the most victory points at the end. Once you get used to the game, it is easy and quick. You'd think we'd have had our fill of RFTG wince we've been playing on our computers, but I guess not. BTW, I think the computers cheat in the computer version. I ended up winning against Richard but I don't recall what the exact scores were.

Near the end of our game, Homer and Alexis showed up. We decided to break out Homer's copy of Agricola. Agricola is definitely not a game to introduce a new gamer to. It's a worker placement game on steroids and can be overwhelming. We've all played a few times before so play was quite quick and smooth. I just couldn't get the synergy of placing my 'people' and my board was very weak. Homer and Richard on the other hand managed to pull ahead of Alexis and myself in the end. I had thought Alexis was going to give Homer a run for his money since she was filling up her board quite nicely but she didn't manage to diversify enough and fell into third place.

Near the end of Agricola, Shannon showed up and then while we were picking up Agricola, Amos and Ivy stopped by. We broke out Betrayal at House on the Hill so we could try out our new non-warped tiles. Betrayal is a very simple game to learn and is all about what players put into it. It's definitely more fun if players give their own spooky edge. Exploring the house was moving along quite nicely until I opened up a room in the basement and triggered the haunt. I ended up getting caught in the massive spider web and having spider eggs laid inside of my character and Homer, playing the big brute who just happened to have the spear, was the traitor. We should have known things would go badly while Homer went off into the kitchen of the hall to read his part of the scenario, we heard him cackle evilly.

I spent the remainder of the game trying to break free from the web while Homer went around with his brute and started killing everyone, starting with the little children first (isn't he a loving dad?). Amos decided to stay on the ground floor while the brute stayed in the basement with the spider. Shannon made a valiant effort and managed to heal my character of the spider eggs but between dynamite and the brute's spear, all characters except Amos' ended up dead. This scenario seemed to have a piece missing. We had to heal the spider eggs from the haunt revealer and then free the haunt revealer from the web and then if at least one character exited the house, we won. For the traitor, if he managed to kill all remaining characters, he wins. The thing was, the traitor was stuck in the basement as no way out had been found yet. We realized that Homer could have explored the basement until he found the way out and then head up and take care of Amos' character but this felt weird and would drag on. It just seemed odd that you'd think that Amos' character could have tried to leave anyway because why would you stay in a house if all your friends ended up brutalized by the brute? I dunno, we figured we'd just end as evil prevailed.In the meantime, Rob arrived to join the games.

We then moved onto Blokus. Amos had two copies so we broke off into two groups. Blokus is a great, fun, quick game and very easy to learn and explain. On one board was Alexis, Rob, Homer and Shannon and on the other board was myself, Richard, Ivy and Amos. I'm not sure how many games the other board got in. I do know that Alexis won one game and Shannon another. The board I was playing at played two games. Ivy won the first and Amos won the second.

At the end of the night, we decided to play some 8-player Bang!. Bang! is another card game that we have been enjoying a lot of lately. For 8 players, you have your Sheriff (Homer), 2 deputies, 2 renegades, and 3 outlaws. Homer was not able to figure who was who and ended up with a fistful of cards for the whole game and no idea who to target. I was an outlaw and got some bad cards (no way to defend myself) and after Alexis beat me down and then Rob played an Indians card, I was dead. Alexis made the blunder of exclaiming, 'I knew you weren't on my side!' after I kicked the bucket and revealed myself as an outlaw. The outlaws just couldn't get it together though and eventually, they ended up getting offed too (that would be Amos and Ivy). Then Shannon the renegade and Alexis the deputy got picked off and it was down to Sheriff Homer, Rob and Richard. The thing was, who was the renegade and who was the deputy? Richard and Rob picked away at each other while Homer sat with his fistful of cards. Richard prevailed and picked off Rob who then revealed himself as the last renegade. The law won!

It's kind of funny that Homer goes from being the traitor to the sheriff.

That concludes the March session of Border Board Games. Our next board game night is scheduled for April 16th, same time, same place. We think that perhaps April will be the game day where we will play nothing but card games. Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment